Keeping your home safe from fires with the right independent insurance agency Antioch, CA.
As the outside temperatures continue to drop for fall and winter, you are probably adding more blankets onto your bed to stay warm at night. While the heater in your house is the best way to stay warm, it may not be an option at your home. If you are using alternative heating sources at your house, keep these safety tips in mind to help you stay cozy and safe this season.
- Never leave a space heater on while you are sleeping. Space heaters are only meant to heat up a small area and need to be carefully watched. Before you hit the hay, make sure to turn your space heater off to prevent a fire.
- Don’t use an extension cord with a space heater. The electrical cord on a space heater is short for a reason, to keep it close to the source of energy. An extension cord will increase the chances of a fire starting.
- Keep your space heater at least three feet away from any flammable items, including curtains, furniture, and clothing.
- Before you light the first fire of the year, hire a professional to inspect your flue and chimney to ensure that they are clean and in good condition.
- Install and properly maintain all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your house. Alarms should be installed on every level of your home and inside or just outside of every sleeping area.
- Never use your oven or kitchen range to try and heat your house. Ovens and ranges release carbon monoxide, which can be deadly.
Having the right homeowners insurance policy in place will help to keep you protected in case of a house fire this season. Contact Jack Stone Insurance Agency for all of your Antioch, Brentwood, and Northern California home insurance needs. As a premier independent insurance agency serving Antioch, CA, we can help with all of your insurance policy needs to give you the protection you deserve.