Impress Guests with This Delicious Holiday Loaf
If you’re hosting guests over the holidays, you may be prepared to spend quite a bit of time in the kitchen cooking up a storm. To help you prepare your feast and impress your guests, this cranberry and lentil bake is ideal! It’s quick, easy, cheap, and delicious. Plus, it fulfils every requirement of a holiday dinner main dish – it pairs well with gravy, it pairs well with cranberry sauce, and leftovers are just as good in a sandwich! Read on for the recipe:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium-large carrot, grated
- 1 rib celery, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups kale, shredded and tightly packed
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup overcooked green lentils
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup oat flour (or ground oats)
- 3 tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup ground walnuts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup cranberry sauce, canned or homemade
- Cook your brown rice and lentils. Prep and chop all of your ingredients. Try to keep everything relatively small, your loaf will hold together better that way.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan and heat over medium-high. Once your frying pan is heated, add the onion, garlic, carrot, celery, and kale. Sauté until the onion starts to become translucent (about 2 minutes.) Add the mushrooms, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper and continue sautéing until everything is just tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the sautéed vegetables, brown rice, lentils, oat flour, ground flax seeds, nutritional yeast, walnuts, and cranberries.
- Mix everything very thoroughly. Firmly press the mixture into a parchment paper lined loaf pan or 9×9 cake pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, pour the glaze over the loaf and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 10-15 minutes to fully set.
- In a high speed blender, blend cranberry sauce until completely smooth.
The team at Jack Stone Insurance Agency wish your family a happy and safe holiday!