Determine If You Need Additional Homeowners Liability Insurance
As a homeowner, you do everything you can to protect your family and care for your property. You may be asking yourself how safe your family and property may be if the unexpected happens. While you may have plenty of property coverage to protect your personal belongings and the building’s structure, you may have overlooked one important part of your policy – liability coverage.
Liability insurance in your home insurance covers bodily injury and property damage that you or your family members cause to others. In essence, if someone gets injured or their property gets damaged and you are to blame, you could be liable for their the medical expenses, lost wages, and legal fees if they decide to sue.
Take a look at these home liability facts:
- Homeowners must keep their property safe at all times, even for trespassers.
- A property owner can be held liable for any dangerous conditions that go unrepaired.
- The owner can be held responsible for everything from loose railings, leaving tools out, and icy walkways.
- Homeowners are also responsible for any damage that their pet causes. Some dogs are blacklisted from coverage, including pit bulls.
- Homeowners with “risky” items may require more coverage. These items include a pool, hot tub, or swing set.
Now that you know the basics of homeowners liability, it’s important to make sure you have enough. Ideally, liability should cover your assets. If you need more coverage, you have two options:
- Increase your current liability in your homeowners policy.
- Take out an umbrella policy. This coverage will kick in when your home, auto, or other liability coverage limits are exhausted.
When you’re ready to secure a quality homeowners insurance policy, talk to the friendly experts at Jack Stone Insurance Agency. We serve Antioch, Brentwood, and surrounding cities in California. Contact us today to get started!