Spring Buckwheat Salad
Now that spring is here, we should be enjoying the seasonal produce on offer. With the abundance of fresh produce, many simple meals can be made. This asparagus risotto is a healthy and easy spring dinner your whole family will love!
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 small carrot
- 10 asparagus
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 250g arborio rice (or short grain rice)
- 1 liter vegetable stock
- 1 tbs olive oil
- salt, pepper to taste
- fresh herbs – chives, parsley, thyme to taste
- In a pot bring the vegetable broth to a light simmer, just enough to warm it up. Try keep it warm for the time you’re cooking the risotto.
- Peel and finely dice onions and garlic cloves. Peel and grate carrot. Wash asparagus and cut off the tough ends, then cut it into smaller pieces, leaving the tops whole.
- In a pan with a wide bottom, heat up some olive oil over a medium heat. Place in the asparagus tops and lightly stir-fry them for a minute or two, just enough that they soften and get a glaze. Remove from pan, then to the same pan, add chopped onions and sauté them until golden and translucent. Add garlic and carrots, sauté for a minute or two, then add the rice and asparagus bits (not the tops) and stir it in well. After a minute or two, pour in half the vegetable stock and let the rice absorb the liquids. Scrape the bottom of the pan for any residue and stir the rice in the liquid well. Bring the heat to a low and let the risotto simmer and cook away. Stir every couple of minutes and add more liquid as needed.
- Cook the rice for about 10 more minutes, until the rice is almost cooked, then stir in the peas. Fresh peas only need a couple of minutes to cook. If your risotto looks dry, just add a bit more stock or water as needed.
- At this point, your risotto is almost cooked. Give it a taste and then season with salt, pepper and chopped fresh herbs to taste.
- Serve hot and topped with asparagus tops, some more fresh herbs and a few drops of olive oil.
From the team at Jack Stone Insurance Agency, we hope you enjoy this recipe! For all of your insurance policies in Antioch, Brentwood, and beyond, contact us today. Be sure to open our link on a new tab!