Follow these safety tips to avoid a home insurance Antioch CA claim this Thanksgiving.
If you are thinking of deep frying your turkey this Thanksgiving, you are not alone. Deep-fried turkeys have increased in popularity in the past few years because, let’s be honest, deep fried foods are delicious. Unfortunately, the tasty dish also comes with some safety issues, which could mean bad news for your Antioch, CA home insurance policy. To help avoid any fires and insurance claims, keep these Thanksgiving safety tips in mind.
- Keep away from your house – your deep fryer should be set up at least 10 feet away from your house and any other structures on your property. You should never leave the deep fryer unattended.
- Stay flat – when setting up your deep fryer, ensure that it is on flat ground. You may want to consider putting down a piece of wood to help keep the fryer stable.
- Thaw and dry your turkey – never put a frozen or wet turkey into the deep fryer. The water will cause the oil to boil over, which can be very dangerous. Wipe down the turkey before you put it in the fryer to ensure that it is very dry.
- Check the temperature – not only should you check the temperature of the oil, but you should also be aware of the temperature of the pot. The handles and lid of the pot can become very hot, so use extra caution. Use a thermometer to monitor the temperature of the oil throughout the cooking.
- Get ready – keep a fire extinguisher nearby at all times while frying. If a fire starts, don’t be afraid to ruin your turkey. It is much better to have to order take out than to watch your house go up in flames.
Before frying your turkey this year, take a look at your Antioch, CA home insurance policy to ensure that you have plenty of coverage. Contact Jack Stone Insurance Agency, serving Antioch, Brentwood, and surrounding California areas for all of your homeowners insurance needs.