Got a hot summer lined up? These sun safety tips protect you from getting burnt.
Summer is right around the corner in Antioch, California, and the weather is starting to heat up. Who doesn’t want to be outside sunbathing, swimming, and barbecuing on a perfect Saturday afternoon? Summer means fun in the sun, but it’s important that you don’t get too much of a good thing – sun exposure.
The consequences of staying out in the sun for too long are extreme: sunburns, aging of the skin, wrinkling, and skin cancer. To avoid these issues this summer, put these sun safety tips into practice!
- Use sunscreen with a sun protective factors (SPF) of 15 or higher, along with both UVA and UVB protection.
- Lather on this lotion 15 minutes before heading outside.
- Sunscreen wears off. Re-apply after swimming, sweating excessively, and after two hours in the sun.
- Check the lotion’s expiration date. In general, discard any sunscreen that is more than 3 years old.
In the sun:
- Always drink plenty of water to stay hydrated throughout the summer.
- Wear clothing to protect exposed skin.
- Wear a hat with a wide brim to shade the face, head, ears, and neck.
- Choose sunglasses to protect your eyes from UV rays and reduce the risk of cataracts.
- Provide plenty of shade and water for your pets in the garden as well as out on the beach or hiking!
- Stay in the shade or move indoors during the peak hours of sunlight when the UV exposure is the most intense (between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.).
From the insurance professionals at Jack Stone Insurance Agency, we hope that you and your family stay safe this summer with these tips! To secure all of your local Antioch and Brentwood, California insurance needs, contact us today.