St. Patrick’s Day Recipe
St. Patrick’s Day is just a few days away, which means it is the perfect time to get out your favorite green outfit. It is also the best time to look for a delicious recipe that the whole family can enjoy. If you are looking for something other than the traditional corned beef and cabbage, try this delicious cheddar topped shepherd’s pie recipe.
- 2 pounds peeled and thinly sliced baking potatoes
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 6 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 chopped large onion
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 pounds ground beef chuck
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp white cheddar
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Put the potatoes in a large saucepan, and cover with 1 inch of salted water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are easily pierced with a pairing knife, or about 15 or 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a 5 quart Dutch oven, or a heavy pot over medium heat. Add celery, carrots, onion, and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, for 8 to 10 minutes. Add the beef, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef is no longer pink, for about 6 to 8 minutes. Add 1 cup of water, bring to a boil, and simmer for 1 minute.
- Drain the potatoes, and return to the pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until the liquid has evaporated and a thin film covers the bottom of the pan, or about 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat, add milk and 1 cup of cheese. Mash until smooth, and season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Pour the beef filing into a baking dish. Drop dollops of the topping over the filling, and spread with the edges of a spatula. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of cheese over the top. Bake until the topping is browned and the filling is bubbling rapidly, or about 20 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes, and enjoy!
All of us at Jack Stone Insurance Agency, Inc. in Antioch, California would like to wish you a Happy St. Patrick’s Day!