Check out these tips for a garden that is ready to welcome in spring and summer.
Have you started your spring garden yet? If you haven’t, or if you’re not quite the horticulturist that you’d like to be, fear not! We’ve compiled some spring gardening tips to get your front and back lawn looking picture-perfect and spring-ready.
Grab your gardening gloves and check out these tips:
- Mow the lawn – This simple task makes your lawn look manicured and neatly trimmed!
- Clear up debris – The winter weather can bring leaves and debris to your garden. Clear this up before you begin gardening.
- Select quality bulbs – Look for those which are plump and firm. Avoid those which are soft, mushy, and on the small side.
- Pick the right spot – Even healthy bulbs will fail if they’re planted in the wrong spot. Most bulbs to best in sun and with well-drained soil.
- Get the timing right – Spring-blooming bulbs, such as tulips and daffodils should be planted in September or October. For summer-blooming beauties, such as dahlia and gladiolus, plant in spring.
- Plant them deep enough – Generally, a whole two to three times deeper than the bulb is tall!
- Place them pointy side up – The pointed end should be sticking up!
- Give them good quality soil – Well-drained soil rich in organic matter helps the possibility of good blooming.
- Bulbs are plants too – They will always appreciate a good drink after you plant them.
- Use fertilizer – Crush up your used egg shells to spring on your plants as they are a great source of calcium carbonate and will provide useful nutrients for the plants.
- Use cooking water – After you boil pasta or vegetables, drain the water into your watering can to water your plants! Instead of tipping it down the drain, your plants will appreciate the nutrients.
- Bring it back – Remove dead, damaged, and diseased branches from woody plants to get your trees and shrubs healthy again!
Now that your garden is bright and prepped for summer, be sure to review your insurance coverages. Protecting your house through homeowners insurance allows you to spend more time in the garden and less time worrying about repairing or replacing your home and possessions. For a tailored policy to suit your needs, contact Jack Stone Insurance Agency in Antioch, California today.