What to Do After a House Fire
Experiencing a house fire can be a very devastating experience for any person or family. House fires almost always happen unexpectedly and move quickly through the home. Fires can cause a large amount of devastating damage in a matter of minutes. It can be daunting to know where to start after the fire is out. Your homeowners insurance in Antioch, CA can help. Here are some tips on how to recover after a house fire.
Make some calls. You’ll need to make plenty of phone calls after a fire, but here are a few important ones:
- Family and friends – To let them know you’re safe.
- Fire department – Be sure you have the all-clear from the fire department before heading back home.
- Post office – Stop your mail delivery and switch to a post office box until you can return to your home permanently.
- Insurance company – Your insurer can guide you through this difficult situation and assist you with your homeowners insurance policy.
- Utilities – Freeze or cancel your services.
- Landlord or mortgage lender – Keep your landlord or lender in the loop as there may be changes or pauses in your rent or mortgage payments.
- Bank/credit card company – You may need to cancel or replace your credit and debit cards if they were destroyed in the fire.
Inspect your property. Once you have gotten the approval to return home, do so safely. Walk around your property first, carefully noting any trees or power lines that could have been weakened or damaged by fire and water. Remember that things could still be hot, so approach your property with caution.
Create your personal property list. Begin working on your personal property list. If you didn’t already have a home inventory created, write down items the moment you remember them.
Secure safe housing. If your home is unliveable, make sure you have a safe place to stay. Restoration and rebuilding can take some time. Include your insurance company in your search so they stay in the loop.
These tips can help you get back on your feet quickly after a house fire. For all of your insurance needs, contact the industry experts at Jack Stone Insurance Agency.