While the kids may already be back in school for the fall, it is still important to squeeze in another vacation while the weather is still warm. However, leaving your home empty while you are gone makes it a hot target for burglars. Follow these tips to ensure that your home and belongings stay safe while you are away.
- Do not announce that you are leaving. Posting about your vacation plans, such as when you are leaving and returning can make your home an easy target for burglars since they know exactly when your home will be empty.
- Enlist help. Ask a trusted neighbor or friend to keep an eye on your house. Ask them to park their car in your driveway and collect your mail and newspaper so it does not pile up while you are away. You can also request your mail to be held at the Post Office so that it does not get delivered.
- Keep things normal. Make sure that your gardener continues to mow your lawn and keep your plants looking nice. An unkempt yard is a good indicator for burglars that nobody is home.
- Lock up. Walk through your home right before you leave and make sure that everything is locked, including doors and windows to eliminate easy access to your home. If you have an alarm system, make sure that it is alarmed when you leave.
- Make it look like you are still home. Invest in a timer for at least one of the lights in your house so that your home is lit at night while you are away. Consider setting the timer for different times each day so that it seems more realistic that someone is home.
For all of your homeowners insurance needs in the Brentwood, California area to provide all the protection needed for all of your belongings, contact Jack Stone Insurance Agency.