The summer brings scorching temperatures. Here’s how to prevent heat-related illness.
While most of us love the season of summer, the high temperatures and blistering heat can make it uncomfortable for many. Staying hydrated and cool during this time is incredibly important to prevent heat-related illness, and so that you can make the most out of the summer months.
Heat illness is a serious medical condition that occurs when heat exposure exceeds the body’s ability to cool down. The core body temperature then rises, producing a range of heat-related symptoms. Below is a brief summary of the symptoms as well as how you can prevent heat-related illness!
Heat stroke symptoms:
- Excessive sweating
- Red, hot, dry skin
- Very high body temperature
- Cool, moist skin
- Heavy sweating
- Rapid heartbeat
Here’s how to keep cool:
- Drink plenty of fluids (but avoid caffeine and alcohol which will dehydrate you).
- Stay indoors, in an air-conditioned area, as much as possible.
- Take a cool shower or bath.
- Never leave anyone or any pets in a closed, park vehicle!
- Avoid vigorous physical activities in high heat.
- Take breaks and rest in shaded areas or indoors.
If you must be out in the sun, read our sun safety tips!
From the insurance professionals at Jack Stone Insurance Agency, we hope that you and your family stay safe this summer with these tips to prevent heat-related illness! To secure all of your local Antioch and Brentwood, California insurance needs, contact us today.