Wildfire Safety 101
California is still in the middle of one of the worst droughts in history, which means a very dangerous wildfire season. Wildfires can start in just seconds and cause serious damage to homes and properties. Keep these tips in mind to ensure that your house stays safe from any wildfires this season.
Before a wildfire sparks:
- Take a look at your home insurance in Antioch, California to ensure that you have plenty of coverage if your house is damaged by a wildfire. Your home insurance policy should provide enough protection to completely rebuild your house after a fire.
- Create a defensible space of at least 30 feet around the entire perimeter of your house. Your defensible space should include fire resistant plants and trees.
- Cut all weeds and grass around your house regularly, and make sure that your roof and rain gutters are free of any fallen leaves or any other dry materials.
- Keep the address and sign of your house visible so that firefighters will have a much easier time finding your home.
During a wildfire:
- If a wildfire is burning in your area, keep tabs on local news reports to ensure that you are aware of any evacuation orders or procedures.
- Prepare your house for evacuation by turning off pilot lights and gas valves, closing all doors and windows, and packing your vehicle for a quick departure when it is time to leave.
- Only return to the area when the authorities have instructed you that it is safe to do so.
When looking for the right home insurance in Antioch, California, contact Jack Stone Insurance Agency in Brentwood, California. Our independent insurance agents will work closely with you to make sure that you have the protection that you need, all at the right price to fit your budget.