The holidays are just around the corner, and no matter if you are celebrating at home, or traveling to visit family, it is important to make sure that your home and assets stay safe. Keep these home security tips in mind to ensure that your home stays safe this holiday season.
- Do not place your gifts near a window. If a burglar sees nicely wrapped gifts, they will be more likely to break into your home since they will not have to look around for valuables.
- Put your holiday lights on an automatic timer. Not only will this mean you do not have to manually plug and unplug them each day, but it will also make your home look occupied if you are out of town.
- Do not run extension cords through windows. If you run an extension cord through your windows to light up your home, you will not be able to close the window completely, making it much easier for a burglar to get inside.
- Put a hold on your mail through the post office, or ask a trusted neighbor to pick it up each day if you are going out of town. A full mailbox is a sure sign that nobody is home, giving burglars plenty of time to break into your home.
- Do not post your travel plans on social media. Although you may be excited to see your family this holiday season, broadcasting that you will be gone can be dangerous. Burglars look on social media to see when people will not be home.
- Do not put empty boxes outside after the holidays. Empty boxes will tell burglars exactly what you have in your home. If you do throw away the boxes at your home, break them down and turn them inside out.
Having the right homeowners insurance is the best way to protect your home this holiday season! Contact the independent insurance agents at Jack Stone Insurance Agency in Brentwood, California for all of your home insurance needs.