When you’re dreaming of catching up on your 40 winks, use these tips to get a better sleep!
If you’re not getting enough sleep, you’re not alone! More than half of the nation suffer from lack of sleep or sleep disorders, such as sleep apnea. The average American only gets 6.8 hours of sleep a night, even though 8 hours is the optimum time. Anything less than seven hours of shut-eye can affect your physical and mental health.
Lack of sleep can affect the body negatively. Sleep loss and sleep disorders represent an under-recognized public health problem and have been associated with a wide range of health consequences including hypertension, diabetes, obesity, depression, heart attacks and strokes.
Use these natural tips to get better sleep – starting tonight!
- Avoid stimulants: Avoid coffee, tea, chocolate, and soda four to six hours before bedtime as these liquids can stimulate your mind to stay awake.
- Turn your bedroom into a sleep haven: A dark, cool environment can promote sound slumber. Block out background noise with a sound machine and avoid eating, working, or watching TV in your room. This will strengthen the mental association between your bedroom and sleep.
- Establish a pre-sleep routine: Ease the transition from wake time to sleep time with relaxing activities an hour or so before bed. Take a bath, read a book, or practice relaxation exercises to calm and relieve stress.
- Lighten up your evening meals: Eating spaghetti Bolognese at 11 p.m. may be a recipe for insomnia. Finish dinner several hours before bedtime to avoid indigestion and disturbed sleep.
- Power down to recharge: Turn off your TV, phone, and tablets at least an hour before going to sleep. The light from the screen is recognized by your brain as a wake-up signal.
With these tips, you can finally get the rest that your body craves!
Contact Jack Stone Insurance Agency for all of your insurance coverages. Rest assured that you’re protected for the future. We serve Brentwood, Antioch, and neighboring cities in California, so visit us today!