Before the warm summer weather is gone, there is still time to take your boat out for a couple more days of relaxation. Knowing how to stay safe can help to make sure that you can fully enjoy the day. Keep these boating safety tips in mind before you back your boat into the water.
- Check the weather – before you head out, take a look at the weather forecast. If bad weather is rolling in, you may want to consider changing your plans. Being stuck out on the water in inclement weather can be very dangerous.
- Create a checklist – a pre-departure checklist can help to make sure that you have everything that you need while on the water. It will also help to make sure that you are not forgetting any safety rules or regulations.
- Use common sense – common sense can help you avoid many dangerous situations on the water. Operate your boat at a safe speed, especially if the water is crowded, and always watch out for dangers in the water. Pay attention to all navigational buoys and aids, which work to keep you safe.
- Have an assistant skipper – more than one person on the boat should know how to operate and handle the boat. If the primary driver is injured, having someone else to safely drive the boat can ensure that everyone gets back to shore.
- Check your life jackets – you are required to have one life jacket for every person that is on your boat at all times. Check to ensure that the life jackets are in good condition and fit properly.
Most importantly, look over your boat insurance policy to make sure that you have the right amount of coverage while on the water. Contact Jack Stone Insurance Agency, serving Brentwood and Antioch, California for all of your boat insurance needs.