Has your home suffered from a disaster? Here’s how to file a claim for homeowners insurance in Antioch, CA.
As a homeowner, you think of your house like a castle. Because of this, it’s important to keep it safe and protected. After a disaster, your home is in disarray and your belongings are damaged; it’s time to call your home insurer to get your house back to its Home-Sweet-Home status. If any covered peril damages or destroys your home, you’ll need to file a claim with your homeowners’ insurance in Antioch, CA company.
Here are the essential steps to properly file your claim:
- If you’re the victim of theft or vandalism, report it to the police. Get a police report and the names of all law enforcement officers that you have spoken to.
- Call your insurance agency immediately to get started on filing the claim. Find out the policy requirements, such as if you need to obtain estimates for repairs and what deductible amount you must pay first.
- Make small repairs to protect your property from further damage. As you buy tools for the repairs, save your receipts. You can then submit them to your insurance company for reimbursement.
- Don’t throw out damaged items until the adjuster has visited your home if you can help it. Pull out your home inventory list for yourself, as well as a copy for your adjuster.
- If you have to move into temporary housing because your house is in devastation, keep your receipts. Many homeowners insurance policies provide reimbursement for additional living expenses while your home is uninhabitable.
- When your insurance company has been notified of your claim, the company will send claims forms. Once you have filled in the forms, return them as soon as possible to avoid delays.
- Your insurance company will probably arrange for an adjuster to come and inspect your home. Cooperate with them as they gather information about the damages to your home and belongings.
- Once you and your insurance company agree to the terms of a settlement, you’ll be sent the payment promptly so that you can get your home back up and running.
With an agency that works for you, Jack Stone Insurance Agency will guide you through the claims process so that there is as little stress and confusion as possible. Secure your home with the right homeowner’s insurance in Antioch, CA, and neighboring cities today!